I love everything that’s country. From country music to country living, country farms to country natural food. I guess I’m an old soul living in a modern body. I once believed I was teleported here way back from the 1880s, but enjoy being in this era so much that I forgot to return!
Well forget about my crazy story and let’s learn how to cook this awesome country natural vegetable, a recipe I learn from my late grandmother.
This country life natural food looks similar to the turmeric flower but I had no idea what it is called in English! The local name is Lachein.
Some basic facts about this vegetable:
- It is found plenty in the northeast part of India and Southeast Asia
- Not everyone in Shillong /Meghalaya knows how to eat it
- Only people from Jaintia hills use it as a vegetable
- Pure organic from mother nature directly
- This is a seasonal country vegetable found to bloom mostly in the month of April-May
- Only the stem is eaten not the flower. But recently I deep-fried its flowers with gram flour and it tastes heavenly
This vegetable can be cooked, boiled and made into soup making but you cannot fry it. It tastes weird when fried. Besides, this vegetable is consist of two types.
One type tastes slightly bitter which most people don’t prefer and the other type is bitter less which tastes awesome.
Let’s start with recipe number 1.
Cook with pork
- A cute boiling/cooking pot
- 1/2 kg of Curcuma (lachein) vegetable
- 5-6 pcs of pork rib bones
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp black sesame seed paste
- Take 6 pieces of pork rib bones, add 500 ml of water and simmer it for half an hour until it is soft and a broth is formed.
- In the meantime, add all the necessary ingredients like salt, turmeric and ginger garlic paste, black sesame seeds paste as well into the broth.
- Remove all the flower parts of the vegetables (only the stem is cooked) and wash in it cold water.
- When the rib bones are soft, you now add the country vegetable into the broth and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- When everything blends well and become soft; the vegetable is ready to serve with rice.
You may like:
Country life natural food 2nd recipe
Boil and mix it with white sesame; another tasty recipe to go with your dinner.
What you need:
- 2 Red onions, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Pounded white sesame seeds
- Take a bunch of Lachein and remove all its flowers by hand
- Then boil it for 20 minutes until the stems become soft
- Now drain the water and squeeze out the water from the stem as much as you can
- Take a knife or a chopper and cut the stem into small pieces
- Take 2 red onions finely chop and add to the chopped vegetable
- Then add 1 tbsp of white sesame seeds and salt to taste
- Mix well all together and your veggie is ready to serve
Products you may like:
Recipe no. 3:
Chop finely and cook
You can chop this country vegetable and cook it or else you can cook it without chopping also.
- Salt, turmeric, cooking oil, ginger garlic pepper paste
- 250 grams of Curcuma vegetables
- Take 250 grams of Lachein and remove its flowers.
- Wash them in cold clean water and put them aside.
- Take 1 tbsp of cooking oil and put it in a cooking pot.
- Then add chopped onions, turmeric and ginger garlic pepper paste.
- Simmer till onions turn slightly golden brown.
- Then add the chopped vegetable and mix well.
- Now add 3 cups hot water and let it cook for about 20 minutes; until the little water remains
Your country veggie is ready. Serve with Love.